Tuesday, July 21, 2009

My Grandpa

I wanted to take a moment and share some thoughts about my grandpa. I figured it would give everyone a little another window into his world as well as help me get through the next few weeks.

James Jinho Tohara was known by many names, most people I have run into called him Uncle Jimmy. I always knew him as grandpa. I have always remembered him in my life and even though I did not get to see him too often growing up I always knew he loved me. He would always tell me that when we would see each other. I did not truly understand the significance of this until I got older and got to know that he was not like this to his own kids. There is something that the relationship with grandchildren that changes a man I think. I have been blessed to have been able to spend two summers with him and grandma Tohara.

My grandpa has taught me many things. Everything that he taught me I have taken and tried to use in my life. So here is a list of some of the things that he taught me and that I will always remember about him:

1. My grandpa taught me to drive. Now this was not entirely an easy experience but well worth it. Grandpa taught me to drive on his little pick up truck that was a stick shift. Now he was a little gruff with me like he can be at times and I shed a few tears in the process but because of him I can parallel park like no one else (when I want to take the effort Dave)....lol. I don't drive stick shifts very often but every time I do I think of him teaching me out in the hot sun when he could have been doing many other things.

2. My grandpa taught me to love everyone. Like I said my grandpa is known as Uncle Jimmy for a reason. Now grandpa was no saint he had his moments too but that did not stop him from helping others and being one of the lords angels. He always made time to help out others, even outside of our family. Every ware I went with him people would thank him for something he did for them. Grandpa embraced the "Aloha" spirit.

3. My grandpa taught me to be responsible. Grandpa spend many years in the military serving our country during WW2. This is one of the reasons I decided to join the Army after I graduated High School. I have learned a lot about who he was through my own experience with the army.

4.My grandpa taught me to think outside the box. Grandpa has always had a knack with thinking of new things to do and better ways to do it. Ever time I saw him he would tell me of his newest project. Things ranged from utilizing the sun to heat hot water tanks using common items he found to catching birds.

5. My grandpa taught me to give back. Grandpa was great at recycling. He would reuse anything he had. This has caused a large pile of stuff to be accumulated around his house and yard but unlike most people grandpa actually used some of the stuff.

My grandpa taught me many other thing which I will probably think of after this is published and will need to write down and remember. I am so grateful for the relationship we had and the one he was able to have with my kids as brief as it was. Sean was always so excited to talk about Boy Scouts with him. Grandpa was planning on coming up to see us when Sean got his Eagle. This has been and will continue to be a huge incentive for Sean to complete his Eagle project. We know Grandpa will be watching down on him when it is finally done.

Grandpa was a engineer, army soldier, inventor, storyteller, boy scout volunteer, civic leader and he was best of all grandpa to me and my brothers and sisters. I am grateful I got to talk to him one last time before he passed. He will always be an inspiration to me.

I love you grandpa.... I can't wait to see you again and catch up on all the adventures and stories you have yet to tell me.

Mahalo,
Ruthie

No comments: