I think our relationship took off when I found out I was going to be a dad for the first time. I was scared and had no idea what to do. He comforted me and told me everything was going to be ok. From that point forward he made sure that my welfare was always taken care of. One story is when Ruth & I had a basement apartment and it flooded for the 2nd time. We were freakin out, he said, "Pack your crap, I'm coming over to get you." Talk about not letting someone stay stranded. Since then we have had some real life drama, and time after time, he was there for me.
Dad introduced me to coin collecting, motorcycle riding, gardening, creative cultivating (if you know what I mean), con-artistry, politics, flirting, professional wrestling, and some street traits. "Don't trust everyone!" "Don't put up with people's crap!" "If you want something bad enough, get off your lazy ass and get it!" And don't forget dad's special dish...his jambalaya! Talk about throwing everything in but the kitchen sink. My dad's secret ingredients...shrimp, Tabasco, and hot peppers! Quiet...its a secret!
My dad is the King of Phrases! For everyone of life's situations, he has a catch phrase. Michael and I graduated from my dad's school of hard knocks, and have heard most of them. I should make t-shirts. One of his most popular..."If the rabbit didn't stop to shit, the dog wouldn't have caught him!"
One thing I can confidently say about dad is that he loves his grandkids. He's always sending them little things in the mail. If dad goes to the store or sees something that reminds him of one of the kids, he'll get it and mail it to them. Sean went down to Texas a few times and hung out with Grandpa. He had a field day. Probably cause Grandpa would let him do whatever he wanted. You know Sean wants to drive, I should let dad teach him.-David
3 comments:
Do you not have a picture of us that I look OK? Well, finally the warm weather is here because the winter can be as cold as a witches *&%@#!.
Lovew ya,
Mitch~
Ha! Thats another one of Dad's sayings.
-David
So what can I say...I love my father-in-law. Reading David's blog brought back a lot of memories. I still remember when I first joined the Mullins family. I as scared and nervous being so far away from home. Dad always made me feel comfortable and loved in his home no matter what. Thank You for your wonderful son. He is my other half and without him I would not be complete. Thank You for all the time you spent with Sean when he was a baby. I know it has made such a huge difference because of you and your love. I am so excited to be able to spend more time with you and the Texas gang this summer. See ya soon...
~Love Ruthie
Post a Comment